Having been blessed with opportunities to know other multies/DID’ers in my area, I know how important those relationships can be. I am working on compiling a list of local support groups specific to DID. Here are groups I have found so far. I hope that someone out there will be able to connect with others in their area as a result of this list. While two of these listed do not specifically state DID in their descriptions, they did pop up in my search for DID so I counted them in my list. If anyone also knows of other meeting places/support groups for folks with DID, please drop me a note and I will add those to this list. Thanks!!
Check back often for updates on more groups as I actively search for them on a regular basis.
CALIFORNIA – L.A. Rape Survivor Support Group: Starting up in December on Meetup.com called Rape Survivors Face to Face. It’s not for DID specifically, although I bet people with DID will be there!
- Central Florida Dissociative Identity Disorder/MPD Meetup: Welcome to the Central Florida Dissociative Identity Disorder/MPD Meetup Group. All are welcome here. We share a common bond. We get together to share what works in our lives, areas that we would love feedback from our peers. A place to listen about how others live with this diagnosis. A place to not feel alone and be completely accepted for who we are. We come to this group in all stages of recovery. We have some group structure but we are all lay people offering support to one another. This is not a therapy support group. We are all striving for full and enriched lives living within our DID. Trust, Optimum health and well being is the goal for all who attend. It is our desire that you too will feel completely safe, comfortable, not so alone and most of all, welcomed here! Altamonte Springs, FL (13 members) http://www.meetup.com/d-i-d-supportgroup/
- Bradenton, Florida – Contact Jane Parker for information on a support group for DID clients. I hear that they meet every other week and the cost is $25. Jane Parker is the therapist who runs the group. http://newviewcounseling.com/DissociativeIdentityDisorder.en.html
MARYLAND – Welcome to the Rockville Area Dissociative Identity Disorder DID/MPD and Significant Other Meetup group: All are welcome here. We share a common bond. We get together to share what works in our lives, areas that we would love feedback from our peers. A place to listen about how others live with this diagnosis. A place to not feel alone and be completely accepted for who we are. We come to this group in all stages of recovery. We have some group structure but we are all lay people offering support to one another. This is not a therapy support group. We are all striving for full and enriched liv es living within our DID, optimum health and well being is the goal for all who attend. It is our desire that you too will feel completely welcomed here. We know that being a significant other of someone with DID can be confusing and often leaves the SO feeling helpless to know what to do. You are welcome here. We hope to learn from you and you from us. Rockville, MD (6 members) http://www.meetup.com/Dissociative-Identity-Disorder-DID-MPD-Significant-Other/
NEW YORK -
- New Landscape – New York support group for people with Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID) / Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD) in Manhattan: www.new-landscape.com
- Long Island Support Group for Trauma Survivors: The Suffolk Trauma Support Group meets on the first Saturday of each month in the Group Study Room at the Patchogue Public Library in Suffolk County on Long Island in New York. The group is formed to offer support, education, and help to survivors of childhood trauma and abuse who are MPD/DID, to mental health providers, friends, significant others and spouses. For further information please call (516) 658-0548 or contact internet: firstname.lastname@example.org (found this one on a Many Voices newsletter)
- Multiple Personality (Dissociative Identity) Discussion Group forming in Middletown. To help plan meetings, email email@example.com (found this info at http://www.tricountywoman.com/supportgroups/html)
TENNESSEE – Madison, TN – Circle of Hope DID/MPD Support Group: Welcome, Ladies with DID/MPD! Meet with other local women with Multiple Personality or Dissociative Identity Disorder. Get together and discuss living and functioning as Multiples. Are you feeling lonely and isolated, like no one understands what you are going through? Then come and join the Circle of Hope DID/MPD Support group. We are the Circle of Hope because when you learn to accept your alters and work together, no one feels lost and alone anymore because we all join hands and work together toward healing. Our group is led by a woman with DID/MPD who is very stable and has 6 years of experience in leading DID support groups. Madison, TN (25 members) http://www.meetup.com/mpd-101/
VIRGINIA – Unsilenced – Abuse Survivors of VA: A safe and trusting environment is the first step toward beginning the healing process and journey to recovering ones self. We are a group of individuals who are here for friendship, support, sharing and healing. Whether verbal, physical, sexual or emotional, if you have ever experienced abuse or know someone who has, you know the lasting effects it can have on ones life. If you are a survivor of abuse or neglect, or are a supporter of a survivor, you have come to the right place. You are welcome here. Please join us on our path to wholeness. Annandale, VA (37 members) http://www.meetup.com/Unsilenced/
WASHINGTON – Amazing Multiples – peer-facilitated social and support group for multiples Our group is by and for those who are somewhere along the dissociative continuum – be it Dissociative Identity/Multiple Personality (DID/MPD), DDNOS, midcontinuum, etc. We gather once a week to give and receive support, find friendship, and socialize in a safe and open environment (switching is welcome.) We’re located in the heart of Seattle, Washington. If you’re interested in attending, or know someone who might be, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for the location, time, and any other info you need. We can’t wait to see you! http://wineberry.net/amazing/